The compact XB-10 Radio Broadcast Mixer from Allen & Heath is well-suited for small radio or internet broadcast studios, college, and university radio stations, podcasting, content creation, and more.
Despite its tiny footprint, the XB-10 is packed with many specialized broadcast features. Radio-friendly tools include a telephone communication (telco) channel, mic channel ON switch sensing, stereo channel start/cue outputs for CD deck transport control, and automatic muting of speaker outputs. A separate monitor mix can be created for operator and guest or presenter, and the operator can speak off-air to the studio or telephone callers using the Talk feature.
This radio broadcast mixer's preamps use low-noise discrete transistor circuitry to achieve high gain and good linearity. Each mic channel is equipped the CompACT compressor to keep the dynamic range of a presenter microphone under control. CompACT (Adaptive Compression Technology) is a program-dependent audio leveler. It combines both downward and upward compression with peak limiting. Low-level signals are given a gain boost, mid-level signals are mildly compressed with a soft knee response, and high-level signals are limited.
A variable limiter on the main output ensures that the level does not exceed a pre-defined level so the final mix to air does not saturate expensive broadcast equipment. Back panel option switches allow the limiter to be bypassed. A trim pot is used to vary the threshold and an LED on the front panel indicates when the limiter has triggered.
The plug-n-play USB connection can be used for VoIP telephone calls, recording program material, playing jingles, and more.
- Incorporates a full-duplex USB soundcard (built-in) and many useful routing options for recording and broadcast applications
- Responsive 3-band, swept mid-frequency EQ design, which utilizes MusiQ with optimized slope for a variety of sources
- 3 mic/line and 3 stereo inputs
- Telco channel with optional USB routing for VoIP
- CompACT compressors on mic channels
- ON switch logic on mic and telco channels
- Start/cue logic outputs on stereo channels
- Separate headphones mix and outputs
- Auto mutes on control room outputs
- Remote mute facility on mic channels
- Configurable USB stereo audio in/out
- XLR main outputs with inserts and variable limiter
- Aux / Alt bus for external processing, recording, or auditioning
- 25-way D connector for remote control functions
- Ground cancel switches on RCA outputs