K Series Active Loudspeakers
The tech experts at CCI Solutions were invited to evaluate the new K series powered loudspeakers from QSC in a special pre-release preview conducted exclusively for CCI Solutions. QSC flew in a pair of the new K10 powered loudspeakers for a private preview conducted at CCI's tech center in Olympia, Washington. Among those particularly impressed with the new "K" series loudspeakers was CCI Solutions' President and Senior Acoustician, Ron Simonson.
According to Mr. Simonson, these speakers are the result of solid engineering principles and innovative design and manufacturing techniques:
"I just came back from our private pre-release preview of the new QSC "K" series portable powered loudspeakers. The "K" series sound simply incredible! An engineer I've known and respected for over 20 years, Mark Engebretson, QSC's VP of R&D, has come up with a winning portable loudspeaker in the "K" series. Mark is a true acoustics engineer who understands the behavior of loudspeakers in the real world and how to apply both physics and digital signal processing to radically improve the standard portable 2-way loudspeaker. Mark started out by making sure that the "K" series speakers would have consistent power response through the crossover frequencies. Consistent power response means these speakers not only sound great when the speaker is aimed right at the listener, but they also sound great off-axis. The "K" series has the sound of a high quality recording studio monitor. Read the rest of the article here.
QSC K Series Features
- Lightweight portable powered speakers with legendaryQSC amplifier power and reliability
- 1000 watt Class D power modules in all models
- Extensive DSP enhances system performance
- Attractive and professional appearance
- Rugged ABS enclosures (K8, K10 and K12)
- Tour-grade 18 gauge steel grilles
- Ergonomic handles with comfortable, non-slip grip
- 35 mm pole sockets with Tilt-Direct™(fullrange models)
- M10 rigging points for suspended installation(fullrange models)
- K10 and K12 perform as main PA or stage monitors
The QSC K Series is quite simply The New Standard in lightweight powered loudspeaker systems. Under the directon of Pat Quilter, QSC's team of amplifier engineers have created a new standard in Class D power modules unparalleled in the industry. Next, breaking from the traditional loudspeaker paradigm, every model is fitted with the identical 1.75" HF device (fullrange models) and woofers of the same high quality for unparalleled performance, regardless of speaker size.
Extensive DSP processing is employed throughout, providing levels of sonic clarity and total output that defy the system's size and weight.
Premium-grade materials, advanced construction processes and multiple mounting and suspension options allow for a wide range of live and installed applications.
Combo XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs accept both Mic and Line Level input while a set of RCA phono inputs (except KSub) allow additional connectivity to portable MP3 players, CD players and line-level mixers. Up to three audio sources can be mixed internally and summed to a balanced output for "daisy-chaining" of multiple units. Separate direct outputs are also provided on each channel for additional output flexibility.
On-board switches provide preset EQ settings. The HF setting (fullrange models) can be set to VOCAL BOOST for additional presence in the critical mid-frequency area or FLAT for accurate reproduction of the incoming signal. The LF switch can be set to NORM, DEEP™ for additional bass extension, or EXT SUB (fullrange models) for use with an external subwoofer. The rear panel LED switch can be set to POWER, illuminating the front-mounted LED when the unit is powered on, OFF for applications where it is not desirable to illuminate the front LED, or LIMIT which indicates to the system operator that the clip limiter circuit has been engaged during operation.
Fullrange models are housed in rugged ABS enclosures with a professional appearance that is at home in any application. ABS is a far more robust material than conventional speaker plastics and offers an additional measure of sonic clarity due to its internal rigidity. Ergonomic aluminum handles and a highly protective steel grille complete the package for ease of transport and long term durability.
The K Series fullrange models feature a unique Tilt-Direct™ pole cup mounting system. A simple turn of the dial engages a 7.5 degree downward tilt of the speaker allowing acoustic energy to be kept on the audience and off reflective surfaces for applications where maximum coverage from a high-positioned speaker is desired. Integrated M10 suspension points allow for suspended applications with a K SERIES M10 KIT (sold separately) or Yoke bracket (sold separately).
The KSub is a dual-12" bandpass design, constructed of premium birch and includes high-quality, low-noise casters. The subwoofer features a threaded pole receptacle for a positive, wobble free connection to a threaded speaker pole (included).
Remote gain control capability is offered via a potentiometer (not included) connected to the on-board Euroblock connector. In an installed application, multiple K Series speakers can be "daisy-chained" for total gain control from a single remote pot. Auto-standby mode is engaged after 5 minutes of inactivity.
- DMT™ (Directivity Matched Transition) provides for matched LF and HF coverage across the entire listening area, eliminating unnatural "dead" or "hot" frequency zones.
- Intrinsic Correction™, first featured in our high-end line-array products maps 65-75 spacially-averaged measurements to IIR and FIR filters that actively adjust time, frequency and amplitude response to a maximally flat bandpass target. The result is a speaker that behaves equally well across the entire sound field.
- DEEP™ and excursion limiting allow for extended low-frequency response by actively managing low-frequency transients without degradation of the underlying signal or adjacent frequencies.
- GuardRail™ protection, first introduced on our GX Series amplifiers protects both the amplifier module and your performance from unnatural and destructive clipping.